Search Recipes

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Turkey Spinach Wild Rice Leftover Soup.

As we planned our Thanksgiving menu, I was determined not to have the traditional green bean hotdish. So, I came up with a recipe for a spinach and mushroom gratin, that was a bit less than successful. The flavor was nice, but it had a lot of liquid, so was a bit slimy.

Not wanting to be wasteful, I turned it into a soup ! The gratin was originally fresh spinach and mushrooms, sauteed in garlic, then layered with sliced roma tomatos and parmesan cheese, and topped with buttered bread crumbs. I dumped the whole thing in a pot, added some extra chicken stock, diced up leftover turkey and wild rice. I let it cook for a bit, then thickened it with a roux and added a bit of half and half just before serving.

I seem to have a knack for making a mistake, and then turning it into something really unique. The problem with these dishes is that they are difficult to replicate. But, it is all a lesson on re-imagining everyday foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment