Search Recipes

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wild Rice Camping in a Crockpot

Cooking on a campout is always fun, and challenging. But, we are not your normal weenie and beans type folk. So, we do some big, group camp outs several times a year. Which require a pot luck. I wanted to do something with wild rice, and we did have access to electricity, so I had a crockpot. And a small grill. But any significant cooking or prep time would mean I would waste my entire day prepping my dish.

So, before I left the house, I had diced 2 onions, three large cloves of garlic, 3 large celery ribs, and 3 carrots. I packed one 4 cup container of chicken broth, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and 2 cans of chicken breast. I could have brought some raw chicken breasts also, but this was what we had on hand. And a couple cans of water chestnuts.I had some Minnesota wild rice we picked up on our trip to pick up the bees earlier this spring, and some fresh tarragon out of the garden. We had also brought along fixings for other camping meals, so if I thought I needed to supplement, I had some other options.

I decided I wanted bacon, so I browned up some bacon in a pan, removed it and then sauteed the veggies in the grease, which worked perfectly. Then, I precooked the wild rice (about 1.5 cups) in the chicken broth and 1.5 cups of water. It was on for about 20 minutes, just started to burst open, then I put it in the crockpot on low, added the chicken soup, water chestnuts and tarragon, and some salt and pepper.

Then, on a wild hare, I decided I needed something else, and I added the remaining Italian sausage left over from breakfast. Let it sit all day on low in the crockpot, and it was divine ! I was almost worried we wouldn't have any leftovers, which I very much appreciate ! It's even better the next day !

Hoping to get some extra apple butter made this week, then canning this weekend. Green Salsa, tomatoes, sauce and salsa. Who knows what else. Craft Brew week,and hopefully a trip to Travail for some inspiration !

No comments:

Post a Comment