Search Recipes

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Meatloaf Juicy Lucy Style !

Juicy Lucy's are a big deal around here, and I love them ! My favorite is a blue cheese stuffed burger from the 5-8 Club in South Minneapolis. And I love to invent new and different meat loaf recipes, so why not combine the two !

This recipe also uses some really amazing tomato jam that my friend and fellow brew buddy Jennifer made. I realize not everyone will have access to this product, but I think you can find something similar in a gourmet food store (probably not as good as hers!). You could also sub in a combination of 1 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup steak sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 1 small chopped onion and 1 tablespoon of chopped sweet pickles to try to replicate a similar flavor, or I will ask Jennifer for the recipe and post it later.

Anyway, here it is:

Meatloaf Juicy Lucy Style
1 1/4 pounds ground meat (I used venison, but beef or buffalo will also work)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 pint of tomato jam
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Canadian steak seasoning
4 ounces blue cheese (I used a monterey jack/blue cheese blend because it melts a little better than straight blue cheese, and isn't as strong tasting)

Mix the bread crumbs and milk together and let them sit until the milk has soaked into the bread crumbs. Mix in eggs and meat. In a separate bowl, combine the jam, worchestershire sauce and steak seasoning. Add half of this mixture to the meat. Put half of the meat in a 9x5 loaf pan, Put the blue cheese down the middle, and top with the remaining meat mixture. Spread the remaining jam mixture on top, and bake at 375 for 1 hour. Let the meatloaf rest about 10 minutes before cutting into it, or the cheese will be like molten lava.

No comments:

Post a Comment