Search Recipes

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Mexican Mocha Cookies

When I was small, my best friends mom used to make these soft, frosted chocolate cookies that I loved. My mom never made them, I wasn't really sure why, so they were always a really special treat. I found the recipe in a very old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I purchased when I worked in an antique store. I have been making them for years as part of my annual Christmas cookie extravanganza.

I decided I wanted to change it up a little, so , I invented this version because I loved the flavor of the Mexican mochas I get at the Farmers Market in the summer. I took this basic recipe and added some cinnamon, coffee and cayenne, and turned it into something really unique.

Mexican Mocha Cookies

1 egg, beaten
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter
2 1 ounce squares unsweetened dark chocolate, melted
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1/2 cup milk

Beat egg and sugar until light, then add vanilla and butter. Cream until smooth. Add melted chocolate, blend well. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. The dough will not be as solid as a regular cookie dough. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool 1-2 to minutes on the cookie sheets then move to rack to complete cooling.

For frosting:
6 tablespoons dutch processed cocoa
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons milk

Mix frosting ingredients together until smooth. Generously frost cookies, and top with a chocolate covered coffee bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment