Search Recipes

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ahi Tuna Tacos with Jicama Slaw

I know, this is not the dinner you would picture for a cold, snowy night. But, it's my birthday! And, I was celebrating finally finding a jicama at the store that was smaller than my head ! I thought I would repeat this recipe, since this is one of my favorites.

It is so simple and quick to prepare any time. The only difference between having it tonight and in the summer, is that I had to pan sear the tuna instead of grilling it. But, it is so tasty, why not have a little touch of the tropics in the middle of January ? Make a mango margarita and enjoy !

Ahi Tuna Tacos with Jicama Slaw
For the slaw:

1 small jicama julienned
1/2 large red pepper, julienned
1/2 medium onion, sliced very thin
3 small radishes, julienned
1 jalapeno, diced finely
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons cider vinegar * I used my homemade cilantro, garlic and peppercorn vinegar here, but plain will also work
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 4-5 ounce ahi tuna steaks **we usually use the frozen kind for this, not the expensive sushi grade kind
Fajita seasoning (or, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin)
Salt
Fresh lemon

Sour cream
Salsa
Goat cheese or shredded cheddar
Small flour tortillas

Mix together the vegetables for the slaw. Then, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper, and pour over vegetables. Set aside.

Rub tuna steaks with fajita seasoning and salt. Grill over a very hot grill just 3-4 minutes per side. These will cook very quickly. Remove from grill, and slice in small pieces. Assemble tacos with the toppings you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment