Search Recipes

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rhubarb Ketchup

Yes, I did. I made rhubarb ketchup!

I have made ketchup from scratch before, but I saw a recipe online a while back for rhubarb ketchup, so I thought I would try it. Of course, I had to change it a bit for my own tastes...

The original came out tasting a lot like sweet and sour sauce, so I added a little spice, and more tomato, and canned it, so now we have ketchup for a year, and some to share.

Rhubarb Ketchup



4 cups rhubarb, chopped
3 cups yellow onion, chopped
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspooon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice, wrapped in a cheesecloth bag
4 cups chopped tomatoes
2 6 ounce cans tomato paste

Stir all of the ingredients together in a large pot. Let them cook down until the rhubarb and onions are tender. Blend with an immersion blender until Smooth. Refrigerate in jars, or can in water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment