Search Recipes

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pizza with Whole Eggs and Sopressata

There has been a trend on food television lately to put eggs in things, so that when you cut or bite into them, you get the soft yolk spilling out over your food. I love eggs with the soft yolk so I can dip my toast in it, so I thought maybe I could do the same thing on pizza.

I remembered seeing something similar once before, but I wasn't sure how to do it, or how long to bake it. So, I winged it ! I made a sort of "well" with the sopressata so the egg would stay contained, and I had to take some of the white off the egg as it was too much liquid. When I do this next time (and yes, there will be a next time), I will just get smaller eggs !

And I did break one of the yolks getting the egg on the pizza, but my story is, that piece is for someone that doesn't like soft yolks (not anyone in our house, unfortunately). And the picture doesn't really do this pizza justice, it was delicious, the sopressata was crispy, the egg yolks were soft, and you could dip the crust. Yummy !

Pizza with Whole Eggs and Sopressata
1 pizza crust
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup shredded mozzerella
6 ounces sopressata
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
4 eggs, some of the whites separated
Fresh cracked pepper and salt

Preheat oven to 500. Spread pizza crust on parchment paper. Mix together tomato paste, olive oil, garlic and basil and spread mixture on crust. Spread mozzerella cheese on top of sauce. Dice the sopressata into small chunks and make 4 "wells" on the pizza to hold the eggs. Add the goat cheese along the borders you have created with the sopressata. Place pizza on a cookie sheet or baking stone and bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven, and gently place an egg in each of the wells you have created. Place pizza back in the oven and bake another 5-6 minutes just until the egg whites are set. Remove from oven and top with salt and pepper.

You may cook the pizza longer if you like your eggs more solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment