Search Recipes

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wasabi Snack Mix

I love snack foods. There, I said it. Salty ones in particular. If I could, I would eat chips all day long. But I know they aren't good for me. So I am always looking for a snack that is better than chips, but still tasty.

I saw a recipe similar to this in Food and Wine magazine, but I couldn't find all of the ingredients it called for, and I wanted to add my own textures and flavors to it, as well. I am so ecstatic with the results ! Especially because I made it for a meeting of my Bitches Brew Crew, and it will pair nicely with a hoppy IPA.

This reminded me of making Chex mix with my Grandma. In fact, I used her technique of putting the ingredients in an ice cream bucket to make sure they were all coated with the yummy sauce. And, I have enough left over ingredients to make another batch, which I am certain I will need to do again tomorrow. Quick, easy and delicious, three of my favorite words !

Wasabi Snack Mix


2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons wasabi powder
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ponzu
1/4 cup canola oil
3 cups wheat Chex cereal
3 cups multi grain Cheerios
1/2 cup roasted soy nuts
1/2 cup roasted pepitos
5 sheets roasted nori, crumbled
1 cup wasabi peas



Preheat oven to 350. Using a small food processor or immersion blender, mix together the honey, wasabi powder, soy sauce, ponzu and canola oil. Place remaining ingredients, except wasabi peas, in a large bowl or ice cream bucket (I like the ice cream bucket because it makes for easier mixing). Pour half of the liquid mixture over it, and toss to coat. If using the ice cream bucket, I just put the lid on it and give it a gentle toss for a few minutes. Pour the remaining liquid over the dry ingredients, and toss to coat well. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in wasabi peas after cool.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, love it! I am also a lover of salty snacks. One question: what is ponzu? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ponzu is kind of like soy sauce, with a little bit of citrus. It is less salty than soy sauce, but you should find it in the same section at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete