Search Recipes

Sunday, April 1, 2012

How to Rescue the Hummus

One thing I have written about in my blog several times are "happy accidents" that come from rescuing a failed dish. This was one of those accidents.

I have made hummus several times, because we really like it. And we like it a certain way, with lots of garlic. It stands to reason that one day, I was going to pass the limit of what a human being can endure, garlic-wise.

That day finally arrived. Even my garlic loving Italian husband admitted he couldn't eat it. I was heartbroken, and I didn't want to sacrifice all of my hard work and just toss it out. So, what to do, so I would still have an appetizer to serve for my guests when they arrived. Hmmm...cream cheese to the rescue ! So easy, and it gave my hummus a lovely, creamy texture that we really enjoyed. One word of caution, however; it needs to be served room temperature, because the cream cheese will set up like a ROCK!

Creamy Hummus
1 cup dried chickpeas
10 cloves garlic
1/2 cup (roughly) olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 8 ounces package of cream cheese, softened to room temperature

Cook chickpeas according to package directions. Drain, and rinse in cold water. Depending on the size of your food processor, you may need to make this in 2 batches. Process the chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in food processor until smooth. Adjust salt if needed, and add more olive oil if needed as well. Remove to a large bowl, and stir in cream cheese. Serve with pita chips or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment