Search Recipes

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sweet Potato Brunch Bake

My parents came up to visit for Easter, and part of the visit always involves cooking Easter brunch. Since we were trying to eat healthy, and my dad uses the egg substitutes, I had to really scratch my head for a way to incorporate them into my meal. Let's be honest, I really don't like to use these kinds of things, but they could substitute for real eggs in a recipe. 

The challenge of a bake was to make something that didn't have a lot of calories, carbs or salt. That left out most of the brunch items I have ever made. I searched, and imagined all kinds of different things, and finally landed on this. It is a little different, I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about putting sweet potatoes in an egg bake, but the sweetness was a nice offset to the sausage. I served this with some freshly baked Irish soda bread, and melon, and it was a lovely brunch!

Sweet Potato Brunch Bake

1 carton (16 ounces) egg substitute, or 7 whole eggs 
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked
1 pound mild turkey Italian sausage, browned
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/4 cup maple syrup 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon pepper 
1 cup low fat cottage cheese 
1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese 

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 by 8 pan with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg substitute, milk, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Add all the other ingredients except 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Gently pour the mixture into the pan, and place in the oven. Bake 70-75 minutes until set in the middle. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake 5 minutes longer. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment