Search Recipes

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Creamy Goat Cheese Grits


Photo: Cheesy goat cheese grits! http://instagr.am/p/Mj83XrM3Rj/

Am I the only person that goes out to eat, tastes a fabulous dish, then tries to make it at home ? I hope that's not considered stealing a recipe, but I loved the cheesy grits we had at Butcher and the Boar a couple weeks ago so much that I have been obsessing about making them at home. 

The one thing I was sure was that they had goat cheese in them. I wasn't sure how he got the lovely creamy texture, or how to find grits other than instant. As it turns out, this was quite a challenge. I ended up using canned hominy, and I might try this again with white masa to get an even better texture, but I think I am close on the flavor. We loved this dish very much, so this is my homage to Butcher and the Boar. 

Creamy Goat Cheese Grits
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 large can white hominy, drained (29 ounces)
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Fresh chives for garnish

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Saute garlic until soft. Add hominy and half and half, and simmer until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth, then add cream and goat cheese and blend in. Stir in salt and pepper, and garnish with chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment