Search Recipes

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Garlic Sauteed Smelt with Tomatoes

We received a couple packages of smelt (smelts?) from our friends Jenn and Jerry, and we had talked at great length about different ways to prepare them.

I have only had them deep fried, at the traditional "smelt feeds" when they are fresh here in the spring. Ray had ordered some when we were in Chicago last year at a Greek restaurant that came in a tomato sauce, that he enjoyed, but those were really BIG smelt, and the ones I received were small. This dish is a spin on that preparation.

I have to admit I am not crazy about the little spines in the smelt. I know they are edible, but I found myself wanting to remove them as I ate. To each his own, I guess, but I imagine they would be difficult to filet based on their size. I did really like the taste of the fish with the garlic, tomatoes and capers. I would eat that again in a heartbeat!

Garlic Sauteed Smelt with Tomatoes 
1 pound smelt, cleaned
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 large roma tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon capers
1 pound fresh linguine
2 tablespoons olive oil
Put on a large pot of water for pasta, and liberally salt. In a large saute pan, melt butter and olive oil together,  and add garlic. Saute until garlic is soft, about 3 minutes. Add smelt, then cover with tomatoes, and reduce to a simmer. When water comes to a boil, add pasta and cook 3-4 minutes until tender, drain, place back in the pot and stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil to keep it from sticking together.. Fish should be done about the same time as the pasta.  You will know the smelt is cooked when the meat becomes white in color and starts to flake. Add salt, pepper and capers to the fish dish, and serve over pasta.

1 comment:

  1. not crazy about the spines either. But I found with a little practice and patience, you can fillet the spine...with some small tine on a little fork, or a toothpick. . .doesn't always work, but when it does, it is worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete