Search Recipes

Monday, September 17, 2012

Ground Cherry Chutney

I saw these little fellows at the Minneapolis Farmers Market, and I wanted to try them. I wasn't quite sure what they were, or how to prepare them, so I asked. They tasted (at least to me) something like a mango, only not quite so sweet. I purchased a bunch, husked them, and set about figuring out a way to incorporate them into our menu. 

My initial thought was jam, but we honestly don't eat very much jam, so that was out. That was what led me to chutney ! We do like the sweet, savory taste of mango chutney, so it seemed like a natural transition. When it was complete, I paired it with some pan seared fish, that I had seasoned with some Hipster Dust. This is a seasoning mix I was asked to try by it's creator. You can find it at http://hipsterdust.com/. It is actually a vegan spice blend, but I used it on meat. If I made an error, I probably used too much ! I underestimated how much kick this little rub has, and I quite liked it ! I will need to find a way to incorporate it into more dishes!

Ground Cherry Chutney
3 cups ground cherries, husked and rinsed 
1 cup sugar 
1/4 cup water 
1/2 cup champagne vinegar 
1 cup red onion, chopped 
1 cup purple bell pepper, chopped 
1 tablespoon coriander 
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder 
1 tablespoon sriracha 
1 teaspoon salt 
In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water, and slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add vinegar, onion, and pepper, and cook until onions and peppers are soft. Add remaining ingredients, and simmer over low heat until most of the cherries have burst and mixture has thickened. Remove from heat, and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment