Search Recipes

Monday, November 19, 2012

Cranberry Orange Relish

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought I should repost some of my favorite side dishes, in preparation for the big day. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year, because of course I love to cook, and to spoil the people I love with yummy things to eat. 

This cranberry relish is similar to one my grandma used to make. I love it because it is sweet, tart and gingery, and not at all like the canned, jellied kind. The pinch of black pepper at the end is my addition, and I think it makes it perfect ! 


2 oranges
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspooons fresh ginger, peeled cut in fine julienne
12 ounces fresh cranberries
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Zest oranges and add to the ginger. Then juice the oranges and set aside.

In a large saute pan, combine the lemon juice and sugar. Heat up slowly over low heat until the sugar starts to carmelize. When the sugar is carmel in color, add the ginger and orange zest. Stir and cook for one minute. Then add the orange juice, cranberries and pepper. Increase heat to medium, and cook until the cranberries have all burst, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool. Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment