Search Recipes

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Oreo Popcorn

I am going to break every rule I have for food with this recipe, but DANG it's good. 

I just don't eat pre-processed or store bought food very often (except for my snack chips addictions, which is where this started). I love salty foods, and I like the sweet-salty pairing. Someone at work was talking about these treats that are Oreo truffles, which are, to my recollection, Oreo cookies, cream cheese, powdered sugar and white chocolate ? Way too sweet for me. I was trying to think of a way I could make something like this for our holiday bake off at work, but still make it something I would like to eat. Adding a salty component seemed like the best way to go. 

Of course I could have made popcorn, but I have a heathen love for this fake, crazy puffcorn. You know the stuff, all salty, buttery and airy. I figured if I could toss it with some almond bark, and throw some Oreos on it, I might be able to score some points at the bake off. Well, it doesn't look all that pretty, but the taste is spot on. And no, I didn't win with this recipe, but I lost to my own Pig Candy entry (that's candied bacon, for you non-believers). That recipe will follow !

Oreo Popcorn 

10 cups yellow puffcorn
1 package vanilla almond bark (10 ounces)
25 Oreo cookies, crushed finely
Lay the puffcorn out on a foil covered cookie sheet. melt the almond bark in the microwave until smooth. Drizzle over the puffcorn, then stir until mostly coated. Sprinkle half of the cookies over the mixture, stir to coat, then sprinkle the remainder over and stir until combined. Cool until set and break apart into pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment