Search Recipes

Monday, December 17, 2012

Pig Candy-Candied Bacon

So, it's ridiculous, really, the idea that you could win a bake off with candied bacon. And yet I did !

I wasn't going to bring it, but I love this stuff so much, I wanted to share it with my coworkers. Making this is truly a labor of love, and I made a two pound batch so that everyone would have a taste. My idea was that I would put it out on the sample table, go sing some Christmas carols, then come back and take a photo to post on my blog...this is what I returned to.



So, there are no pretty photos of the finished product this time, but let me tell you, it was a smashing hit. Our contest at work has three categories you can win, Best Dessert (non-cookie), Most Traditional, and Most Unique. Some people voted for the Pig Candy in all three categories ! Crazy. And although it is time consuming, it isn't difficult, so add it to your list of holiday goodies today !








Pig Candy 


1 pound thick cut bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup (the real kind)
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Cover a jelly roll pan with foil. Place a baking rack (I use a cookie cooling rack) on top of the pan.  Mix together the sugar, syrup, vinegar and pepper until it is a thick glaze. Place bacon pieces on the pan, and bake for 7 minutes. Brush each piece generously with the glaze and return to oven. Bake for 7 minutes, remove from oven and turn bacon over. Brush again, glaze generously and bake for an additional 7 minutes. Repeat this process until the bacon is crispy and well glazed. Cool on wax paper, and eat ! Each pan will take approximate 30-35 minutes to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment