Search Recipes

Friday, March 15, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Blueberry Crisp

When I first met my husband, I made him blueberry crisp. I couldn't believe he had never had it before. Never had crisp of any kind. This was always a staple in our house, because we had rhubarb, lots and lots of it ! Over the years I have found a crisp, or crumble, to be my favorite "go-to" dessert because it is quick, easy and you almost always have the ingredients on hand to make it. I often make them to use up fruit when I "over-purchase" at the Farmer's Market, which I do quite frequently. They freeze beautifully, then I can just pull one out and toss it in the oven. I was thinking spring when I purchased this fruit at the store, but I bought more than we could eat in a week, so I had to make crisp, of course !

I like to make them in individual serving dishes when we have guests coming over, so everyone gets their own. And, we like them with a simple, homemade vanilla ice cream, served warm. This was my first try at this combination, using up some fruit we had in the refrigerator, but I will make it again, most certainly ! 

Fresh Strawberry Blueberry Crisp 
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced 
1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed 
1/2 cup sugar 
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1 teaspoon lemon juice 
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature 
3/4 cup brown sugar 
3/4 cup rolled oats 
1/2 cup flour 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/4 teaspoon cloves 
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, toss together fruit, sugar, Grand Marnier, vanilla and lemon juice and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients, until crumbly and pea sized. Spray 4 individual oven proof dishes with non-stick spray. Divide fruit into dishes, and then divide topping over the fruit. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment