Search Recipes

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala

I don't usually post recipes without pictures, but I had a request for this one, so here it is ! Pics next time  I make this, which will be soon ! 

I was craving Indian food, we hadn't made any for awhile, so I thought I could make some tikka masala. The problem was, I wasn't planning on being home, and my traditional way of preparing this is a little time consuming. I wanted to be able to come home, dish up dinner and eat, which is what crockpot meals are made for !

I was a little apprehensive about putting this is the crockpot, I had no idea how it was going to come out. Answer: YUMMY ! The chicken was super tender, and the sauce was perfectly seasoned. I am not sure if I will go back to the other preparation, this was so easy and good !

Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala 
3-4 large chicken breasts, or thighs (about 1.5 pounds), cut into bite sized pieces
One 2 inch piece of ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Greek yogurt
3-4 serrano peppers, finely diced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves (if you can find them!)
1 tablespoon salt
8-10 roma tomatoes, diced
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup heavy cream
The night before, combine ginger, garlic and yogurt. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then toss in the yogurt mixture. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, place chicken in the bottom of the crockpot. Top with the serrano peppers, then the spices. Scatter tomatoes over the top, and set heat to low. Let chicken cook 4-5 hours, then stir in the tomato paste. Cook an additional 1-2 hours. Stir in the heavy cream just before serving. Serve with basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment