Search Recipes

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Honey Ginger Rhubarb Crisp

It's the time of year when my little rhubarb patch is bursting with freshness, and we love our crisp ! I make this a lot, so of course you know I wanted to change it up a little. Since we always have honey from our bees, I wanted to add honey, but I had never tried this with rhubarb. And somehow I decided that ginger would be a good addition with the honey, but I honestly had no idea about proportions. So, I just started chopping and tossing. I think this recipe is about right for our tastes, as we don't like our desserts overly sweet, it would lose the wonderful tartness of the fresh rhubarb, and the spiciness I love from fresh ginger. So here it is ! There was a nice, honey, ginger, rhubarb syrup that formed at the bottom, because the honey didn't thicken like sugar would have, but I am OK with that, just scoop it out, and pour it over the top of the ice cream. 

Honey Ginger Rhubarb Crisp 

9 cups fresh rhubarb, diced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups honey
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon

For the topping:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9 by 13 pan with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, mix together the rhubarb, honey, ginger and cinnamon, and spread evenly into the bottom of the pan. Mix together the topping ingredients, and spread evenly over the top of the fruit mixture. Place in oven, and bake 45-60 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let cool 15-20 minutes before serving with a scoop of ice cream.

Note: You can cut this recipe in half and make in an 8 by 8 pan, bake 30-45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment