Search Recipes

Friday, August 23, 2013

Grilled "California" Vegetables with Carrot Green Pesto

I think everyone has tried that frozen bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. I throw it in soups sometimes in the winter, when fresh vegetables are scarce here in the frozen north. But, I happened to have all three fresh in my refrigerator this week (rare, I know!), and decided it would be interesting to make something with my own "California" blend of vegetables. 

It has been relentlessly hot here this week, so cooking anything inside has not been appealing. Grilling is really the only way to go. And who doesn't love grilled veggies ? Topping these with some pesto made with the carrot tops means I didn't waste anything, which I totally love ! I got the idea for the pesto from a recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine, and I just used what I had on hand to create it. Simple, easy delicious, what's not to like about that ? 

Grilled "California" Vegetables with Carrot Green Pesto
For the pesto: 
2-3 cups of fresh carrot greens (tops) 
1/2 cup fresh basil 
3-4 cloves garlic (depending on size and how much you like) 
1/4 cup almonds 
1/4 cup olive oil 
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan 
1 teaspoon salt 
Place all ingredients in food processor, and blend until smooth. 

For the vegetables: 
3 large carrots, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces 
1 head broccoli, just the tops 
1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces 
3 tablespoons olive oil 
1 tablespoon salt 
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Preheat grill to medium high. Toss vegetables with olive oil and salt. I use a grill pan, and grill vegetables on medium high for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Remove from heat, and toss with pesto and goat cheese while still warm. Serve with your favorite grilled meat, or it is a robust main dish on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment