Search Recipes

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Plums

I was fortunate enough to score a front row seat for the cooking demo at the Minneapolis Farmers Market last Saturday. Chef Sameh Wadi from Saffron and EatWSK was going to take on a mystery basket challenge ! Well, anyone who knows my blog knows I often attempt to perform this particular feat myself (albeit with leftovers from the refrigerator), so this was right up my alley ! 

I was asked to watch, take notes and so I could attempt to share some of these ideas for making the most of the market. I have to say, I was really impressed with the simplicity of his ideas. This salad is a perfect example. 

Tomato season is almost over, but the market has some perfectly ripe, beautiful heirlooms this time of year. Chef Wadi took advantage of the beautiful colors, and then paired them with some ripe plums. Simple cheese from the folks at Shepherd's Way, it looks amazing ! 

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Plums 
2-3 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced and diced in various shapes 
2-3 small, ripe plums, quartered 
4 ounces sheep's milk cheese, crumbled 
2 tablespoons water spinach*, cut chiffonade 
Salt 
Pepper 
Olive Oil 
Arrange tomatoes and plums on the plate. Top with cheese, then spinach. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil to taste. 

*Can substitute regular fresh spinach, if you can't find this ingredient

No comments:

Post a Comment