Search Recipes

Monday, October 14, 2013

Potato Leek Soup

I didn't take a photo of this soup, because I didn't make it to eat. Well, not yet, anyway. I woke up early on Saturday, and needed to get this soup cooked and ready for the freezer, so I could have dinners and lunches ready for the coming week, and some for the weeks ahead.
 
Potato leek is one of my all time favorite soups. I never really had this when I was growing up. We had potato soup, for sure, but it was the chunky, super creamy kind, very rich and hearty. That is not this soup. This one is very smooth and delicate, and also very simple to make. I was lucky enough to get both potatoes and leeks in my last CSA box, so it was a perfect time of year to break out this recipe.
 
You can leave out the cream cheese and make the entire soup dairy free as well, it will be plenty creamy as is.
 
Potato Leek Soup
1 pound leeks
2 tablespoons butter
2 ½ pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (optional)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
 
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Bacon, fresh chives, sour cream for garnish
 
Slice entire leek thinly, and rinse well in water, to remove any grit or dirt. Pat dry on paper towels. In a large Dutch oven, melt butter and sauté leeks until tender. Add potatoes and stock, and simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately 30 minutes. In small batches, puree soup and cream cheese in  blender until smooth. Pour back into pan, and add lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer an additional 10 minutes, adjusting seasoning as needed. Garnish as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment