Search Recipes

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Chocolate Cherry Piecaken

I decide I want to try to make one of these, and now suddenly it's trendy ? How did that happen ? I would think a lot of home cooks might shy away from this because it looks difficult,. I have to admit, I was a bit afraid of how to get a pie inside a cake. 

Turns out, it's not that hard. And when you think about the endless flavor combinations, why wouldn't you do it ? This was my first try, so I went with a classic, cherry and chocolate. To simplify it and make it more approachable, I am only going to give instructions and technique, rather than recipes. 

Trust me, you will want to make a trial run with some less expensive and less time consuming ingredients. 

Chocolate Cherry Piecaken

1 batch chocolate cake batter (store bought mix is fine, or your favorite homemade recipe) 
1 8 inch baked cherry pie, chilled (again, store bought, or your favorite homemade)
      *tip-baking in a foil pan will assist in removal to cake later 
Chocolate frosting (I wouldn't skimp here, homemade chocolate frosting is THE BEST) 

Preheat oven to 325. Spray a spring form pan with non-stick spray, and line bottom with parchment paper. Pour approximately half of the cake batter in the bottom of the pan. Make sure the sides of the pie are loose from the pan, then gently, but quickly, invert the pie into the spring form pan, on top of the batter. You did it ! Success ! Then evenly pour the remaining batter over the top of the pie. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely, remove from spring form pan and frost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment